Friday, October 15, 2010

Honey Maple Cookies

Ok, so I decided to be a good mom today and baked some cookies for the boys.
No...I said for the boys.
Ok, fine...I made them for myself too, but that's called "Quality Control", people.
I got really excited when I came across this recipe on Taste of Home (an awesome website, where I find a lot of the recipes that I completely fall in love with), because it had two of my favorite ingredients: honey and maple syrup. The honey and maple flavors really compliment each other well, and the maple just puts a really nice Fall kind of spin on just plain'ole, regular chocolate chip cookies.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

  • In a large bowl, beat shortening until light and fluffy. Add honey and syrup, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled). Beat in vanilla.
Here's what THAT looks like, lol. (And it does have a bit of a curdled texture.)


  • Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to honey mixture and mix just until moistened.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.

  • Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.

  • Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

  • Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen. 






I'd say be careful about your spacing, because these tend to be one of the flatter cookies, and depending on your oven, adjust your cooking time accordingly. If you would like them a little chewy (as do I), take them out just a little on the early side and they are absolutely perfect. Excellent for lunch boxes and after school snacks alike (...and night-time snacks, after the kids go to bed, too!). I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. If you happen to try them, please feel free to post in the comments below. Happy Baking!!!

P.S. - This also happens to be one of those fabulous cookie recipes that doesn't include raw eggs...which makes it perfect for leaving some in the bottom of the bowl (not too much), and letting the little ones lick it clean. They think it's awesome...and who doesn't like cookie dough. I mean, c'mon...they dedicated a whole ice cream flavor to it. That is a testimony to it's awesomeness. True story. Seriously.

Talk yo you soon,
Laura
SuperMom

No comments:

Post a Comment